Apply to be a mentee
Application: Incoming students are required to submit an application consisting of short answer questions, writing samples, and family information. Completed applications (both the student and parent forms) must be given to your college guidance counselor or faxed to Minds Matter at 1 -617- 841-7026.
Applications for the 2016-17 school year will be accepted both in the spring and the fall. The spring deadline is Thursday May 19th, 2016 with Interviews on Saturday & Sunday June 4th & 5th, 2016. The fall deadline is tentatively Thursday September 22nd, 2016.
Interview: Following the submission of their applications, qualified applicants will be asked to interview with Minds Matter’s Executive Committee to gauge interest and assess commitment to the program.
Selection: The selection process is highly competitive and results in a pool of dedicated and talented young adults. In 2014, less than 30% of applicants were accepted to Minds Matter Boston. Applicants will be notified of their admissions decision in the week following their interviews.
Being a mentee
High school students are admitted as sophomores and spend three years in the program, receiving:
- Free, 1.5 hour ACT prep course from our professional partners (Academic Approach)
- Weekly 2 hour mentorship from two dedicated young professionals
- Paid tuition for college summer programs at leading universities
- 3-year writing, public speaking, and professional development program
- Expert guidance from our affiliate college preparatory partners
- Full support in the college application process
At Minds Matter Boston, we look for students who:
- Maintain a strong overall grade point average of 3.2 or higher
- Are committed to pursuing a college education
- Are enrolled in Grade 10 or 11 in the Greater Boston area
- Qualify for free/reduced lunch
- Demonstrate strong academic potential, motivation, maturity, and responsibility
- Are active in extracurricular and/or community activities (part time jobs included)
Sessions are held on Saturday at the MIT Campus.
- Sophomore and Junior session is from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM.
- Senior session is from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM.
- There are approximately 25 sessions each year.
- Mentees are expected to attend 80% of these 25 sessions.
- Mentees must agree to apply to and attend a recommended college summer program.